With the advent of the modern world, we can get to see a lot of bizarre kind of petting. Among this is a pet which might not sound conventional to most of the people. Leopard gecko is among the new world pets which require a great amount of leopard gecko care.
These geckos have some peculiar eating habit. Among them is they treat their own skin as a food. With such a peculiar habit of feeding on its own residual remains, leopard gecko is not easy to take care of.
They require consistent leopard gecko care and time when it comes to their proper diet.
Its food varies and it differs from its different eating habits. With the idea of petting geckos, getting more common lately, a lot of products are available in the market for these unconventional pets.
They have quite a following lately and hence with more research and intriguing nature of the pet owners, new plausible diet plans and meals are available for leopard geckos to care.
Primarily, they feed on insects and small worms but their platter has got versatile options now. Leopard geckos are also particular about the place they live in.
They thrive in a place which imitates their natural habitat as it gives them a sense of belongingness and hence, they could be comfortable with the surroundings and act in a normal manner.
When these leopard geckos thrive in their natural habitat, they primarily keep their eyes on anything that wiggles around them and which is within their reach. They are rather smart reptiles and hence they store up their food with the help of their tail.
Though, this tail gets a lot chunkier due to this reason. In the wild, there’s no guarantee for food but a healthy gecko usually eats around 8-9 meals in a week.
Their food for leopard gecko care in wild caries from locusts, caterpillars, beetles, and spiders. With their petting, their food rather gets classified and hence they have a fixed and proper diet which is best for its breeding and other health benefits.
Apart from food, they also require a proper living environment which commensurates with their natural habitat because that makes them comfortable and hence leads a proper well-being of the reptile.
Here are some best techniques to look after your leopard gecko in terms of food and other well-being of your pet.
BEST LEOPARD GECKO CARE FOOD
CRICKETS FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
- Crickets are among the most suitable food for leopard gecko care food. They are particularly healthy and are feasible to buy or avail. While feeding them to your leopard gecko make sure that their size is not too large as they are difficult to digest.
- While choosing the size of your feeder insects the distance between your mammals’ eyes should be kept in mind as it should not exceed it. These are among the few points of leopard gecko care.
- It is always a good idea to leave a small piece of potato, carrot, or apple for the crickets to eat. The food will also draw out the crickets and make them easier to catch. However, it shall be removed if your gecko doesn’t eat it in a day.
- Nutritional Information for leopard gecko care food: Moisture 69.07%, Fat 6.01%, Protein 21.32%, Fiber 3.2%, Ash 2.17%, Ca ppm 345, P ppm 4238, CA/P ratio 0.081
- Reason to choose cricket over other leopard gecko care: They are particularly easy to find, cheap, low fat, high protein, easy to care for, gut-loads well, erratic movement stimulates feeding.
MEALWORMS FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
- Mealworm is among the staple food of leopard gecko care products range. They are healthy and easy to avail. Freshly molted worms are easy to digest for your gecko and hence they shall be preferred.
- Mealworms as a feed are quite feasible when it comes to gecko food as they can be placed in a food bowl and are available whenever the gecko is hungry. The bowl shall be slippery enough that they can fall through.
- Nutritional level of mealworms for leopard gecko care: Moisture 62.44%, Fat 12.72%, Protein 20.27%, Fiber 1.73%, Ash 1.57%.
- Pros of mealworm for leopard gecko care: Easily available, cheap, high in protein, easy to care for, could last for a decent period, do not smell, easily bred.
- These mealworms are high-quality worms which are bred and sold by Bassett’s Cricket Ranch in California. They have the option to ship your worms in breathable cloth bags with extra to cover up for any dead worms on arrival. They also have live delivery all year round.
WAXWORMS FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
- Waxworms are comparatively high in fat compared to other worms, they should be given to the gecko as a treat and not regularly. Some geckos also get addicted to these worms.
- Waxworms are the wax moth in caterpillar form and they usually feed on beeswax in honeycombs. They have very high-fat content and hence they are used by fishermen to catch salmon and trout. These worms are also famous among humans who practice insect eating. They are also knowns as Waxies.
- Nutritional information of the wax worms for your leopard gecko care: Moisture 61.73%, Fat 22.19%, Protein 15.50%, Fiber 7.69%, Ash 1.02%.
- Pros of waxworm as leopard gecko care: easily available, cheaper, delicious to geckos, used to jump-start feeding.
These worms are available in a pack of 250 at Amazon. The Bassett’s Cricket Ranch wax worms are fat plump worms that can be an item of delicacy in your leopard gecko’s care food menu. These shall be avoided during summer time as moths come out of the cocoons at that time.
DUBIA ROACHES FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
- Dubia roaches are a healthy option for the geckos but they are quite expensive when compared to other counterparts. There is another alternative to this: you can grow them on your own.
- They are quite remote as they can’t fly or climb smooth surfaces. They have the highest amount of protein when compared to other leopard gecko care food.
- Nutritional Information for dubia raches: Moisture 65.6%, Fat 7.2%, Protein 23.4%, Fiber 2.9%, Ash 1.2%.
- Pros of Dubia roaches: very High protein, extremely low fat, easily cared for, they have a long lifespan, gut-loads very well, no foul smell, high calcium to phosphorous ratio, easy to breed your own feeder colony, movement stimulates feeding.
They are the best in quality food for your leopard geckos care as they provide the highest protein and hence fit the food list perfectly. They are available at Amazon for as much as 10$ for 50 live roaches.
SUPERWORMS FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
- A Superworm is high in fiber, calcium, and fat as they almost twice as big as mealworm in length and breadth. Its most of the size comes from its chin and their shells. They have less meat when compared to other counterparts of worms.
- Nutritional Information of super worm for leopard gecko care: Moisture 59.37%, Fat 17.89%, Protein 17.41%, Fiber 6.80%, Ash 1.20%.
- Pros of super worms for leopard gecko care: Easily available, cheaper, decent amount of protein, easily cared for, long lifespan (no refrigeration needed), no mess or smell, easy to breed your own feeder colony.
This pack of 500 worms is easily available on Amazon as leopard gecko care food items. They are known for excellent You can buy this leopard gecko’s care food on Amazon. This pack will last you up to two months is by the brand called Best delivery services and giving you the best class insects, which are well nourished and in healthy condition.
PHOENIX WORMS FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
- Nutritional Information of phoenix worms for leopard gecko care: Moisture 61.2%, Fat 9.4%, Protein 17.3%.
- Pros of phoenix worms for leopard gecko care: Low in fat, easily available, cheaper, best calcium to phosphorous ratio feeder available, decent protein, decent shelf-life (3 weeks), movement stimulates feeding.
You can order your leopard gecko’s care food from Amazon.
MEAL REPLACEMENT POWDER FOR LEOPARD GECKO’S CARE FOOD
- This is the best meal for your gecko which is in its initial stages. Though geckos are insectivores and they do not feed on fruits and vegetables but baby Leo really relishes this meal as compared to their adult counterpart.
- Mix one part of meal replacement powder with two parts water by volume as a starting point. The mixture may appear watery at first but will thicken after several minutes. If separation occurs over time, use less water. As fed, meal replacement powder should have the consistency of ketchup. Feed geckos in the evening and remove uneaten meal replacement powder within 24 hours.
- Nutritional Information on meal replacement powder: Crude Protein min. 25%, Crude Fat min. 7%, Crude Fiber max. 8%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 8%, Calcium min. 1.2%
You can purchase it this leopard gecko’s food replacement at Amazon
LEOPARD GECKO CARE ESSENTIALS
EXO TERRA NANO WIDE TERRARIUM FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
There are over 6,000 species of reptiles and over 4,000 species of amphibians, varying in size from around an inch to several feet.
The terrarium is, without doubt, the most important aspect of successful reptile and amphibian keeping. Many species have different requirements, so a versatile and easily adaptable terrarium is essential. In order to meet the needs of the hobbyist and more importantly, the needs of reptiles and amphibians, Exo Terra developed a wide range of terrariums.
All of these terrariums can be used for several applications and set-ups; from sterile housing to a state-of-the-art natural terrarium, from a desert terrarium to a tropical terrarium.
Although very similar in shape and size as the “aquarium-type” tanks, these new versions have all the great features of the typical Exo Terra terrarium.
The Exo Terra Natural Glass Terrarium is the ideal reptile or amphibian housing designed by European herpetologists.
There are 12 different sizes of the Exo Terra Natural Glass Terrariums, all built with the same great features that help provide your leopard gecko care with a durable and comfortable environment to live in.
The front opening doors (single door on the Nano terrariums) allow easy access for maintenance and feeding. A specially designed lock will prevent escape and the doors can be opened separately.
The Full-screen top ventilation allows UVB and infrared penetration and is completely removable for easy access while decorating or cleaning.
In the back of the screen cover are five closable wire or tube inlets on both sides to install Heat Wave Rocks, Waterfalls, sensors, etc. inside the terrarium. The bottom plate of the terrarium is raised to mount a substrate heater to heat a part of the extended ground surface.
The extra high fixed front window is ideal for thick layers of substrates (burrowing reptiles), aquatic parts or to mount an Exo Terra reptile den. The natural background is in the same color as all other Exo Terra decoration items (Water Dishes, Waterfalls, Heat Wave Rocks, etc.) and provides an extra climbing dimension.
EXO TERRA GLASS NATURAL TERRARIUM NANO/TALL FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
Dual Doors for leopard gecko care:
The dual front opening doors (single door on Nanos) allow easy access for maintenance, misting and feeding. During terrarium maintenance, one door can be kept closed at all times; reducing the risk of escape by a swift reptile or feeder insect, and better retains the heat and humidity inside at the same time.
Pivoting doors are far superior to sliding doors, as sand and other debris can jam the sliding doors.
Lock for leopard gecko care:
A reliable specially designed lock prevents unwanted opening from children or pets and is an extra security measure to keep the animals in the terrarium.
Removable Stainless-Steel Cover for leopard gecko care:
The full-screen top allows UVB and infrared penetration and is completely removable for easy access while decorating or cleaning.
Durable locks at the sides secure the screen top to the terrarium frame. The top has built-in closable inlets on both sides to securely run wires and tubing inside the terrarium and keeps small reptiles and feeder insects inside the terrarium.
Waterproof Base leopard gecko care:
The extra high fixed front lower panel allows for deep layers of substrate, provides space for glass mounted decor like the Exo Terra Reptile Den or can be used to create a water feature as high as the ventilation strip. Every terrarium is tested for leaks.
Raised Bottom Frame for leopard gecko care:
The bottom glass panel of the terrarium is raised to facilitate the mounting of a substrate heater or heat cable and prevents heating accessory problems normally associated with standard “aquarium style” terrariums. It keeps the entire bottom panel well ventilated to ensure optimal hot and cold spots.
Enlarged Ground Surface for leopard gecko care:
The Exo Terra terrarium is deeper than the “Aquarium-type” tank, resulting in an extended ground surface. This gives the space needed for dessert and ground-dwelling reptiles and amphibians to thrive.
Natural-Looking Rock Background leopard gecko care:
The natural looking rock background is in the same color family as other Exo Terra accessories blending nicely for a natural-looking habitat. The background provides an extra climbing dimension and endless terrarium design opportunities. The background also provides channels for running cords and tubing from the bottom to the top of the terrarium without being seen.
EXO TERRA SHORT ALL GLASS TERRARIUM, 24 BY 18 BY 12-INCH FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
The Exo Terra Glass Terrarium is the ideal for leopard gecko care or amphibian housing designed by European herpetologists. The front opening doors allow easy access for maintenance and feeding. A specially designed lock will prevent escape and the doors can be opened separately.
Full-screen top ventilation allows UVB and infrared penetration and is completely removable for easy access while decorating or cleaning. In the back of the screen cover are 5 closable wire or tube inlets on both sides to install Heat Wave Rocks, Waterfalls, sensors, etc. inside the terrarium.
The bottom plate of the terrarium is raised to mount a substrate heater to heat a part of the extended ground surface. The extra high fixed front window is ideal for thick layers of substrates (burrowing reptiles), aquatic parts or to mount an Exo Terra reptile den (not included). The natural background is in the same color as all other Exo Terra decoration items and provides an extra climbing dimension.
Heat this terrarium using an Exo Terra LIGHT DOME / ALUMINUM UV REFLECTOR LAMP (part numbers PT2055 or PT2077) in conjunction with the Exo Terra LIGHT BRACKET / LIGHT DOME SUPPORT FIXTURE (part number PT2223).
Other lamps and fixtures are not approved, may cause product damage and pose a fire hazard. Check with the SIC tool for the product description.
EXO TERRA RAINFOREST HABITAT KIT FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat Kit is the ideal set-up for the beginning herpetoculturist! The kit comes with all the components necessary to give your leopard gecko care terrarium hobby a successful start – including the Exo Terra Glass Terrarium, designed by European herpetologists.
The Exo Terra Glass Terrarium features front opening doors, allowing easy access for maintenance and feeding. The Full-screen top ventilation permits the UVB rays from the compact fluorescent lighting system to penetrate deep into the terrarium.
SHELTER CAVES FOR YOUR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
ZOO MED REPTILE SHELTER 3 IN 1 CAVE FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE (MEDIUM)
This 3 in 1 cave can be filled with Terrarium Moss or Eco-Earth to provide a humid microclimate for shedding, hiding, or egg laying.
Durable resin construction means that it can easily be washed and sterilized, and the removable lid makes it easy to check on your animals or remove eggs. Available in three sizes to accommodate your leopard gecko care.
Excellent as a hiding shelter for adult Ball Pythons.
ZOO MED REPTILE SHELTER 3 IN 1 CAVE FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
- Provides Security and Comfort
- Great for All Reptiles
- Variety of Sizes
ZILLA DECOR ROCK LAIR SIZE MEDIUM FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
It’s perfect as a moist hide or cold hide. It wouldn’t work as a hot hide because the rock is too thick for heat to get in. It totally beats the Tupperware tub any day.
Definitely worth the money and I recommend it to anybody struggling to find a nice hide.
EXO TERRA REPTILE CAVE (MEDIUM) NEW STYLE FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
- 8″ at its widest and 7.5″ at its deepest.
- Height 3.5″ Opening Size: 1.5″ x 2″
Natural look integrates into any type of terrarium Provides a secure hiding place Prevents stress Very stable, not easily tipped over by larger reptiles A proper hiding area is an often-underestimated feature of a natural terrarium.
Without a safe spot to hide and sleep reptiles and amphibians will easily develop stress that will affect their activity and appetite.
With a realistic pebble design and an enlarged hiding volume, the Exo Terra Reptile Cave mimics natural hiding places of reptiles and amphibians.
The Exo Terra Reptile Cave provides shelter as well as offering a cooler and more humid microclimate in your terrarium.
HEATING PAD FOR YOUR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
SUDOTACK Reptile Heating Pad
SUDOTACK Reptile Heating Pad, Leopard gecko care Heat Mat, Energy-efficient Glass Terrarium Heater, Tank Warmer, Under Tank Heater with UL Certification and US Plug.
- Ideal heat pad for tropical, desert, reptile pet
- Easy to use with adhesive mounting for either underneath or on side of the terrarium
- Simply get comfort temperature for the pet. Just plug in when it’s needed
- Easy to clean and convenient to use
iPower 6″x 8″ 8-Watt Terrarium leopard gecko care Heating Pad Under Tank Warmer Heater Mat with Digital Thermostat
The iPower reptile heating pad is specially designed to be used on standard glass terrarium for a reptile, amphibian, small animal, or plant terrariums.
Compared with other general heat pads on the market, our heat pad includes a new proprietary heating film technology that allows the pad to reach desired temperatures faster.
Also included is the new and improved digital heat mat controller. The new iPower heat mat thermostat is digital for greater accuracy. It provides constant customized temp for fermentation, reptiles or brewing.
1 – Heat Mat (6″x 8″ Watt: 8W) / 1 – Digital Thermostat (120 Volts / 8.3 Amps Max /60 HZ)
- S: 4″x4″ 4 watt — 1-5 Gallon
- M: 6″x8″ 8 watt — 10-20 Gallon
- L: 8″x12″ 16 watt — 30-40 Gallon
- XL: 8″x18″ 24 watt — 50-60 Gallon
- Improved Design
- New heating film and insulation increase overall heat transfer across the mat. Reach desired temperatures within minutes.
- 3M Adhesive Paper
- Provides a strong grip on the contact area. The heat mat stays exactly where you want it.
- Energy Efficient
Reach desired temperatures in a shorter amount of time while consuming less power than other heat mat products.
About Our Digital Thermostat
- Temperature can be set from within a wide range, 40°F – 108°F (5-42°C)
- The controller is compatible with most heat mats and ready to plug into North American outlets
- Delivers excellent results for seedling germination, plant growth, reptile, or brewing
- The thermostat controller is rigorously tested to ensure the safety of your plants, pets, and DIY projects.
FOOD DISH FOR YOUR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
ZOO MED REPTILE ROCK FOOD DISH FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
Low profile with a smooth non-porous surface that won’t harbor bacteria. Available in an assortment of colors and sizes.
Put a more natural look into your reptile habitat by using this realistic looking rock formed food dish. It’s lightweight and safe for your reptile(s) because it is made of polystyrene and will not break.
EXO TERRA FEEDING DISH FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
The Exo Terra Reptile Feeding Dishes are made from food-grade resin and have a very natural and realistic rock finish on the outside and a smooth non-pitted surface on the inside.
Exo Terra’s Reptile Feeding Dishes are coated to prevent the development of harmful bacteria and to make it easier to clean.
The neutral color of Exo Terra accessories allows for easy integration in desert, tropical or rainforest terrarium environments. The Exo Terra Feeding Dish is sturdy, durable and not easily tipped over by larger reptiles.
EXO TERRA WATER DISH FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
Exo Terra’s Reptile Water Dishes are made from food-grade resin and have a very natural and realistic rock finish on the outside and a smooth non-pitted surface on the inside. The Exo Terra’s Reptile Water Dishes are coated to prevent the development of harmful bacteria and are easy to clean.
The neutral color of Exo Terra accessories allows for easy integration in desert, tropical or rainforest terrarium environments.
Smaller reptiles, amphibians, and insects can easily escape out of the Exo Terra’s Reptile Water Dish by the ‘safety steps’ inside the bowl to prevent drowning.
OTHER ITEMS FOR YOUR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
ZILLA JUNGLE MIX FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
Reptiles from tropical and forest environments will feel instantly comfortable with the Jungle Mix’s loamy scent, soft texture and 100% natural composition.
The blend of sphagnum moss and fir shavings soaks up many times its weight in liquid, thus maintaining a naturally healthy moisture level. Experience shows that Fir/Sphagnum bedding promotes digging, breeding, nesting, and egg incubation.
This U.S.-made product was blended to be completely biodegradable, so it’s as good for Earth’s environment as it is for a reptile.
ZILLA REPTILE TERRARIUM BEDDING SUBSTRATE LINER FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
Beginning pet owners and finicky reptiles alike will love Terrarium Liner. The owner simply rolls out the plush green or brown carpet and cuts to size as needed. Reptiles can thrive on the absorbent, non-abrasive material that would irritate sensitive feet.
Best of all, the Liner is treated with a biodegradable enzyme that reduces reptile odors. At cleaning time, simply rinse with cold tap water and reuse. Ideal for starter kits, Terrarium Liner is a fuss-free product to introduce new customers to a reptile hobby.
ZILLA REPTILE TERRARIUM BEDDING SUBSTRATE LINER FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
- A low maintenance bedding, simply roll out and cut to size as needed
- Safe because it cannot be digested like other substrates, a good alternative especially for juvenile reptiles
- Treated with a biodegradable enzyme that reduces odors and is easy to clean with cold tap water
- Absorbent, non-abrasive material will not irritate reptiles
- Liner Dimensions: 9.75 x 19.75 Inches
EXO TERRA JUNGLE VINE FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
The Exo Terra Jungle Vines can be used for decorative purposes or for enlargement of the dwelling area. These water-proof vines are bendable, twistable life-like vines with a natural feel and look. The vines can be twisted together with vines of different sizes to create a 3-D habitat.
Exo Terra Jungle Vines are perfect for arboreal reptiles and amphibians. It helps to create a natural environment in which your reptile feels right at home.
EXO TERRA PLASTIC TERRARIUM PLANT, LARGE, MANDARIN FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
The Exo Terra Mandarin Jungle Terrarium Plant is an exact replica of its natural counterparts and is easier to maintain. With its dark and light green leaves, the way this plant lies makes your reptile think it is the real thing.
This plant offers the same advantages as live plants whether the purpose is decorative, creating hiding spots, or enlarging the dwelling area. The plants are easy to clean and simple to maintain.
A combination of live plants and the Exo Terra Terrarium Plants is perfect so even in spaces where live plants won’t thrive, there will be natural looking decorations.
FLUKER’S REPTA VINES-POTHOS FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
Comes with suction cups to affix to the tank and are made of non-toxic polyethylene material for easy cleaning and disinfecting.
- 6 feet in length
- Lifelike & natural looking
LEOPARD GECKO CARE FOOD- INSECTS TO BE FED FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE?
If you are acquainted with the basic knowledge of the insects, then you will know more the meal structure of your leopard gecko care.
The best way to take care of your leopard gecko care is by feeding them the healthy insects and food which keeps them well nourished.
Your leopard gecko needs vitamins and minerals to be in a robust and healthy shape. The best scientifically developed techniques to ensure your gecko gets enough vitamins and minerals is by methods like gut loading and dusting.
GUT LOADING FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE, EXPLAINED?
The term gut loading basically means that you feed your insects and worms nutritious food before you feed them to your leopard gecko. This ensures a healthy feed for the leopard gecko as it is ensured that the worms are fed with nutritious food before 12 hours which makes it possible for them to feed it to the mammal in the best condition.
This is a scientifically proven method of feeding your leopard gecko which leads to the best results. There are much cricket feeds available that are perfect for gut loading.
THE FLUKER’S HIGH-CALCIUM CRICKET DIET FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
This is the best way of feeding your worms with a nutritious diet. It follows the concept of gut feeding as this feed is fed to the cricket who relish over this formula. This keeps it easy on your pocket as it saves up the cost of buying the crickets online.
Moreover, with this nutritious feed, your crickets are ready for your reptile who is going to enjoy a feast. This highly nutritious feed which gives the best nutrition required by your mammals.
- This product makes gut loading super easy and you don’t have to worry about rotting and molding.
- These diets are generally easier to feed than those you come up with yourself, and they will gut load your crickets with all of the vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbohydrates, and fats that they need to provide your reptile with an excellent source of nutrition. You can supplement their diet with pieces of vegetables such as fresh lettuce and orange slices for added moisture and nourishment.
NATURE ZONE CRICKET TOTAL BITES SOFT MOIST FOOD FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE
- This product delivers more than 15 different types of nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. It feeds on the source of water and nutrient and it also helps in digestion. You can conveniently leave this in the cage where the cricket eats this feed, which is ultimately eaten by the reptile.
- It comes in big cubical pieces which makes it easier to feed to the cricket. It also helps as it takes a decent time to dry up.
Nature Zone Total Bites for Crickets & Feeder Insects
This product is quite easy to handle and feed as you do not have to cut it into small pieces. You just have to feed this directly and there is no need to cut it separately into cubical shapes. This is a water and gut loader feeder and can be fed to the insect in one easy step.
It has high-quality protein, vitamins, and minerals. It is easy to digest and provides complete nutrition.
- Recommended For: Crickets, Mealworms, Super Worms and Dubia Roaches. Also great for pet Roaches, Tarantulas, other insects, arachnids, and isopods.
- If you’re using mealworms as leopard gecko’s food you can gut load them with carrots 24 hours before feeding. You can also place some of the cricket gut loading food into the dish containing the mealworms so they will eat some of that too. Some owners that leave mealworms in their leopard gecko’s tank all day will leave food in the dish for the mealworms to eat. This way the mealworm is gut loaded whenever you want to serve them as leopard gecko’s food.
HOW SHOULD I GUT LOAD THE FEEDER INSECTS FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE?
- The main thing to keep in mind while gut loading the insects is that they should be gut loaded at least 24 hours before they are being fed to your reptiles. And the phoenix worm shall not be gut loaded as they will foul the medium and initiate fungus and bacterial growth. Have a deep research about feeing before actually doing it.
- Leopard gecko gets the most of the required moisture from the food which they eat. They do consume water but water in their natural habitat is sparse. They do not urinate and they pass fluids which is why it is important to gut load them. They have evolved to adapt to the dry arid environment by absorbing moisture from the insect feeders they eat
- Carrots, leafy greens, fruits, and oats are all good perfect for gut-loading.
WHAT IS DUSTING FOR LEOPARD GECKO CARE?
The process of covering up the feed with powder is known as dusting. In this process, the worms and insects which are to be fed to the gecko are placed in a jar where they are coated by this powder in order to form a coating all around the insects.
It is usually done before the gecko actually eats his food. After you dust the insects, it shall be provided to the gecko so that it immediately eats its prey.
Now, the science behind dusting your insects and worms?
- You see Vit. D3 does not appear in sufficient amounts naturally in feeder insects. The ideal calcium to the phosphorous ratio for leopard gecko is 2:1 and none of the feeder insects hit the perfect 2:1 ratio.
- For diurnal species such as iguanas and bearded dragons, they can bask under UV and synthesize vitamin D3 from UVB. Since leopard geckos are crepuscular, they get very limited exposure to UV even in nature. Vitamin D3 is required for proper absorption of calcium. It is important to always dust your feeder insects with a good multivitamin supplement prior to feeding them to your geckos.
- • The Zoomed reptivite with D3 is an all-in-one calcium powder with added vitamins, trace minerals, and carotenoids for dusting feeder insects. It contains a 2:1 calcium to phosphorous ratio, and has vitamin D3. It is an all-in-one so no further supplement is needed when you dust your feeders with these products.
We have used this commercial multivitamin extensively for over 5 years and it has worked very well for us.
HOW SHOULD I DUST MY FEEDERS FOR THE LEOPARD GECKO CARE FOOD?
- The feeders shall be dusted before every meal of the gecko. The eating frequency of a gecko varies as for when the gecko is just a fledging it tends to eat more frequently while eventually, the food frequency gets much slower than the younger counterparts. When they are small, they have to be fed almost every day or every other day but when they age, they are to be fed only once in a fortnight.
- The most feasible way of dusting has put the feeder in a plastic bag along with your multivitamins and shake it well and present them to your gecko.
- Serve them right after dusting the insects otherwise the insects clean themselves off the multivitamins as soon as they are let free.
- Earlier the pet keepers used to keep a bottle cap of calcium and phosphorous inside the tank when these supplements were now available in the market. But now with the new products available, you do not have to put the cap open in the tank instead you can get zoomed repetitive with d3.
- However, some pet owners still prefer keeping pure calcium and phosphorus in the tank. In that case, it is important that the calcium and phosphorus are pure and does not contain d3 in it because too much d3 could be fatal for the reptile. And it is not possible to control that how much does the reptile eats as it is out of control of the pet keeper to control that. In this case, the zoomed repti calcium works the best option around.
- Once the seal of this product is broken it is advised to use them within the prescribed time as the potency of these items tend to degrade with time. There are gecko hobbyists that don’t realize that there is an expiration date on their bottle of gecko vitamins. For optimal vitamin potency and stability, you should use up your multivitamin within 1 year of opening the seal. Also, you also shouldn’t buy a bottle of vitamins if it’s near or after the expiration date.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU SERVE THE LEOPARD GECKO CARE FOOD?
- Feeding your leopard gecko is more dependent on the age of your gecko. If the gecko is younger you have to feed him more often while if the gecko gets more than 12 months of age it has to be fed less frequently
- When the gecko develops a chunky tail that is a sign of being overly fed. So, when the tail of your reptiles goes chunky, you shall limit the supplies of food to your gecko. It has a tendency of storing the excess fat in its tail. The sick ones should be fed once a day until they regain their health.
- You should commensurate the food timing with that of their natural habitat. The best time of feeding the gecko is late in the evening or early into the day as this when the natural gecko is likely to start hunting.
- If your gecko is a problem eater, feed it normally, but leave a dish with worms in its tank in case it wants to eat later.
- The food chart shall be tailored according to the customized personal habits of your gecko.
WHAT PORTIONS OF LEOPARD GECKO CARE FOOD SHOULD YOU FEED YOUR PET?
- The ground rule states that that the feed of your gecko shall not exceed the space between your geckos’ eyes.
- The baby geckos should be served with crickets that are around 3/8 inches in size.
- The little ones shall be provided with the leopard gecko’s food with crickets which are around 1/4 inch in size.
- Adult geckos should be fed with a small adult to adult size crickets.
- Clean the cage from time to time as you don’t want insects to pile up in the cage and make it unhygienic and dirty.
HOW SHOULD I CHOOSE THE FEEDER INSECTS AS THE BEST LEOPARD GECKO CARE FOOD?
- When it comes to choosing the feeder insects to be fed as geckos’ food, a variety shall be kept in mind. All the insects have different nutritional values with different pros to them. Like some insects are higher in fat content while others are higher in protein content which fulfill different body requirements of the gecko. A variety of food chart shall be prepared for your gecko in order to provide a balanced diet.
- The diet shall keep on varying from one type of food to another. For example, if you include a staple diet of super worms to your leopard gecko’s food list, your gecko will become obese within no amount of time. Superworms are high in fat and contain below average protein. Every other week you can switch it up by introducing crickets, then another couple of weeks you can introduce some phoenix worms to your leopard gecko’s food. This variety and change in leopard gecko’s food will give you it a much more balanced diet.
- Even if you choose to include high nutritional value feeders into your leopard gecko’s food list, such as Dubia roaches, which are low in fat and high in protein, you should still maintain a variety. We recommend adding Phoenix Worms to the mix of leopard gecko’s food for added calcium and taste value. We call it to taste values because leopard geckos tend to love these soft yummy treats. Plus, the way they move around stimulates gecko’s feeding.
CAN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES BE SERVED AS LEOPARD GECKO’S CARE FOOD?
Fruits and vegetables are not an apt option when it comes to feeding your leopard gecko care food.
- They cannot be fed food because they are naturally insectivores’ reptiles which means that they feed on insects. It’s the same way it works for carnivores’ animals as they feed on other animals and herbivores who feed on plants and vegetation. Apart from that, it is more about the taste preference of the reptile.
- Animals with a plant-based diet can digest cellulose. Cellulose stiffens plant wall cells, so if the animal can’t digest that, it can’t eat a plant-based diet. Therefore, to digest a plant-based diet, a carnivore will need to have all the bacteria and micro-organisms to help break it down. These bacteria and micro-organisms are found in the Cecum which is situated in the large intestine. It works like a little chamber that ferments all the plant matter that can be digested. In carnivores, Cecum has no function, unlike the herbivores and omnivores.
- Carnivores take comparatively less time to digest food than taken by a herbivore.
- So, these reasons are substantial enough to not include other plant-based food as a feed to your reptile because it does not synchronize with its natural form.
LEOPARD GECKO CARE FOOD AND OBESITY
- Obesity can be easily avoided by the feeder by preventing to overfeed the reptile.
- Compared to its natural conditions, the geckos get food quite sparsely as compared to the cage which leads to nothing but obesity.
- As a process of adaptability, the geckos have physically adapted to store food which could be used later. This makes the possibility of overeating as a minimal thing.
- Their fats are stored in their tail which raises the alarm that the reptile is going out of shape or facing some other complication.
- As a rule, a gecko’s tail must always be wider than its body and its stomach should be mostly flaccid.
- Overfeeding could ultimately lead to lethargy in your reptile. If any sort of sign is visible in your pet, you shall check your pet with the issues.
- Waxworms shall not be included as a staple food for your reptile as it might accentuate the complications.
WHAT SHOULDN’T BE INCLUDED IN THE LEOPARD GECKO CARE FOOD?
- The most important food that must be avoided in the list of leopard gecko food is a lightning bug. The lightning bug is more dangerous for your reptile.
- The bugs are not apt for your reptile as they have toxic substances to them which might harm your gecko.
- Never feed the reptile with your self-caught reptile as you never know what is waiting there to sting you. It could be possibly toxic for your reptile.
- There’s a more of a conflict when we talk about this kind of feed as some websites claim it as a good practice while others defy all these logics.
- If you still choose to experiment with this on your reptile, make sure that you have in-depth knowledge on this domain and make sure that the insects are free from sprayed pesticides.
- Only treat your gecko with these as a treat as there are chances the reptile gets addicted to them and refuse a staple diet.
HOW TO BREED FEEDER INSECTS FOR LEOPARD GECKO’S CARE FOOD?
- The survival is present even at the lowest for space is incredibly Space is an important thing when it comes of worms and feeding them for e.g.: certain species will not only need different types of cages but different sizes as well. You will need larger enclosures to breed certain insects like crickets don’t do well long-term in smaller enclosures not only because of gas buildup but also because of territorialism between them and the possibility of cannibalism happening. Dubia roach males are also highly territorial and need their space to safely claim at least one side of an egg crate as their own or they will start damaging the other males and females occasionally.
- Time plays an important role as well. It requires a varied amount of time which varies from a couple of hours to even more depending upon the number of feeders.
- Having your own feeder colony would save up the cost to a large extent. If you own more than one gecko, not just leopard geckos, but perhaps different species of reptiles. Often these feeders are suitable to be fed to most if not all of them. Dubia roaches are easy to breed and some breeders even sell Dubia roaches breeding colony with a male and a handful of female Roaches.
- For mealworms and super worms, you’d want to use wheat bran as the bedding. Start by placing them in a shoebox and gut loading them by using carrots and green vegetables 24 hours prior to serving them as leopard gecko’s food.
- Refrigeration slows the pupating process of mealworms so they shall be kept in the refrigerator.
- Superworms, die outside the refrigerator so they must be properly taken care of.
- Phoenix worms should be kept in the bedding they come in. They should not be fed or gut-loaded or they will foul the bedding medium, causing mold & bacterial growth.
- Crickets should be kept in a cricket keeping container, or a very tall Sterlite storage box. Egg flats should be placed inside to give crickets more room. There is specially formulated cricket gut-load diet which is high-calcium cricket diets. They will work well for feeding your crickets. You will also need to provide a water source for your crickets. If you use plain water, it can get messy. The cricket container will get wet, and you will likely have mold growth and cricket deaths as a result.
- Waxworms shall be kept in the same container they get shipped in. They cannot be gut-loaded. Keep them dry and don’t place them near a warm spot, or they will die really fast.
- Insects in the wild can carry diseases and parasites. They often come with pesticides since they feed on greens in the wild. Bottom line is you never know what wild insects carry, so you should never catch wild insects and feed them as leopard gecko’s food. You would, therefore, want to add the only captive bred feeder insects to leopard gecko’s food list.
WHAT SHOULD A LEOPARD GECKO CARE DRINK?
- Fresh, clean and drinkable water must be available to your Leopard gecko care at all times.
- The dish from which the gecko drinks water must be apt for them as they shouldn’t slip and drown into it while drinking water.
- The dish shall be placed in a stable manner to avoid spillage in the cage area as it must be kept dry.